Sunday, November 12, 2006

mmmm, cake. No wait... brownies!



Aloka and I made cookies last week. When I wasn't looking, she decided to get her little baking set, and add some ingredients herself including: maple syrup, safflower oil, a few chocolate chips and of course a whole lotta sprinkles. I took the cookies out of the oven and turned it off, turned my back for a second and lo and behold there was her little loaf pan full of "cake batter" in the oven. I decided to let it stay for a bit for her amusement. Amused she was not, however, because she wanted to see it rise and actually bake, silly me.
So, I told her there's no flour in the batter and a cake needs to have flour. I start washing the dishes with my back to the oven, and again, I turn around after a few minutes, and there in the oven sits her little loaf pan full of batter, and one perfectly rounded tablespoon scoop of flour!

I told Aloka that we should probably mix in the flour so that is just what we did (and I added some baking powder and more flour while I was at it!). We put it back in, and turned the oven on to bake.
Aloka watched the cake with intensity. It rose beautifully and Aloka was beside herself. It was exactly what she wanted to see her little cake do. Then within 10 or so minutes, the cake plummeted back down to a flat little pancake. "Oh NOOOOO" Aloka shouted. She was so bummed. I told her sometimes that happens and that she actually made amazing brownies! She immediately felt better and we pulled them out of the oven to cool. They weren't bad and boy did she love them!

0 comments: