Sunday, September 07, 2008

Aloka got a tick

Aloka was complaining about having a bruise on her head today. Then tonight she felt her head and she said she had a bump there. I asked her if she hit her head today as I was feeling for the bump and I felt something hard and small, more like pimple size but more prominent. I have never had a tick nor seen one on someone, but I moved her hair away and sure enough there was a little grey oval thing which I could only assume was a tick. I called Richard in to the bedroom (Aloka was just going to bed when we found this) and we got out our trusty "Smart Medicine For a Healthier Child" book and read about ticks.
Aloka was completely freaked out. She already has a thing about bugs. They really creep her out, and she's heard about lice so she has a small fear of bugs in hair. She was scared, and kept asking if we'd ever get it out. It was luckily pretty quick of a surgery!
I rubbed some thick vitamin E oil on the tick, and Richard heated up some tweezers after a few minutes of letting it not get any air, and he gently pulled it out. Neither one of us have any experience with ticks but knew we didn't want to leave the head in. I wasn't sure tick heads were so small, but Josh said they're teeny when I called to consult with him.
Anyone with tick experience, feel free to reassure me this head is still attached!

1 comments:

Sarah Laine said...

From the look of the picture, the head isn't there, sorry....