Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!


Aloka at Waldorf preschool




Aloka and Josh at Barter Faire




At Barter Faire





Aloka on Thanksgiving day walk




Children at the Harvest Celebration potluck at the Waldorf School
We had our first Canadian Thanksgiving (Monday the 9th) and it was one of the best Thanksgivings I've had yet! Sounds silly, I've had a lot of them, but it really was wonderful. Aloka's new Waldorf Preschool teacher and her husband (Dena and Noah) invited us over, and we feasted with 6 or so other adults, and 7 or 8 children. One of the highlights was after we ate we went on a wonderful long walk through the cemetery, and then up to a cool trail. The kids climbed trees, and bounded joyously through nature. These 3 videos are from that! We then came back, ate pumpkin pie, I played some mbira, enjoyed more conversation, and then went home, spiritually, socially rejuvinated. We have so much to be thankful for, and it seemed we were all able to share in that mutually.
There are so many people from the States here that we've met lately! Dena and Noah are from Boulder, and another couple at Thanksgiving was from NY.
It's fun talking about our immigration experiences with other American couples, all expatriates, all starting a new life in a new place that we all feel so passionate about. Everyone i've met from the States here seem to all have a strong pull towards and love for Nelson.
The day before Thanksgiving, we had a fall harvest potluck at Aloka's school, with 5 other Waldorf families. Once again, many happy children and wonderful parents that we met. Another US couple from Northern California, they just moved here a year ago. I feel like we've found family here, as if I've known these people and the Nelson community all my life. So, i'm including some pictures from Thanksgiving, and also some from the Harvest potluck.
Aloka is doing well with her new school life! She's only been 3 times, and I still haven't left her for the entire time yet, but it will be soon. Today, I dropped her off and went to the co-op grocery store for a bit, came back, connected with her briefly, and then waited in the car for her and played my mbira. She missed me a ton, and there were some tears when she finally saw me. It was painful being away from her, I cried a little, and felt weird shopping without her. I was equally happy to come back from the store and poke my head into the class to tell her i was back. It is a slow process, and as much as i've wanted this freedom, I miss my baby too.



0 comments: