Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Final update on this freakin' permit!

Ok, we finally have our work permits in hand! We are at back and all is well and legal, and we have not been kicked out of this country we call home. It went incredibly well! First off, it was a gorgeous day, crystal clear blue skies with sparkley snow on the ground but spring in the air. I also made a few phone calls and found out we could go to a much closer border crossing only 45 minutes from here. There's no immigration officer there which is why we didn't think we could do it, but I found out we could go there and they would fax our info to the pertinent people and it worked out great.
In fact, even when we had to drive through the US border crossing in order to turn around to get to the Canadian crossing, the US border patrol officer was from Canada! She said she got this job offer but had been a permanent resident in Canada for 30 years previously. She welcomed us to Canada before we even got back to the other side. She was happy and excited for us, something we certainly hadn't expected from the US side of things! We knew after that, things would go smooth, which they did. I had phoned in the day before so everyone at the Canadian border was expecting us, and it was just smooth as can be.
I can't believe what a relief it is to be here legally and be able to go back to the US as much as we need to, to visit friends and family, to get our stuff, yippee!
So now some busy work. I have a giant list of things I need to get in order. Here it is (why I am writing this in my blog, I have no idea): Get our Social Insurance Numbers (this is like SSN in the US), Get our Health Insurance Cards, Apply for Child Tax Credits (we can get $150 monthly for Aloka from the Govt.), Get drivers licenses, get car registered and plated, get a medical exam so I can work in the childcare or health professions if I need to, etc etc.
How was that for boring? There's more on my to do list, but I'm refraining. I think I'm making this list just to get it organized in my head, ha! I need to write this down somewhere, I'm feeling some overwhelmed-ness in the air! But yay! I'll take it anyday over being an illegal alien!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I haven't checked your blog since december, but have been thinking of you often. Luella just started at the Waldorf preschool last week. it is amazing :-) thanks for all the sweet pictures & videos of Aloka... shiela